Tuesday, October 18, 2011

eggplant baby!!

Eggplants are one of those vegetables that you tend to block out of existence and hardly notice as you walk down the grocery isle. at least personally, I have never eaten an eggplant. how does it taste? I didn't even know what the inside of an eggplant looked like! -- until tonight.

There were gutsy moves involved: 1) I bought the eggplant, 2) I ate it. but here's the awesome part...I cooked it myself! the story:

I always pictured eggplants to be like giant avocados, with a great big pit inside and everything (...how old am i?). so I grabbed a pan that i thought would be the right size, only to find that the eggplant DID NOT have a pit. okay, i guess that's alright. more eggplant to go around. so I got a bigger pan and tossed the complete washed and sliced eggplant into it. throw in some oil, salt, mrs dash and all I could do was hope for - well - anything but the worst.

Wait. how are they supposed to look when they're done?! oops I hadn't thought of that, but they were quickly changing into a dark mushy brown color. i was worried. so I made Ashley look up pictures of cooked eggplants on google to see if i was doing it right. ok, I suppose it's normal for them to turn to goop, so I think i'm okay so far. 20 minutes later, after many anxious nibbles and taste-testings, I finally heard the dinner bell go off in my head. it's time!

I scooped a cautious portion size into my bowl and braced myself.




I liked it! well, for an eggplant anyway and for cooking it myself.

If I had to describe the taste, which I did, i would say that it tastes like a raw oyster. or in other words, grassy squash. hm that doesn't sound good, but it was. Anyways, it's probably a good thing i liked it since nobody else wanted to give it a try.

i wonder how many days it will take me to finish it off....

No comments: